We were delighted to open our third London retail store in Hampstead NW3 during September 2023.
Being from the area we thought it would be fun to share some local information for those unfamiliar with Hampstead and all it has to offer.
Where is Hampstead?
Hampstead is situated in North West London about a 20 minute drive from the West End. Easy to reach via bus or the Northern Line tube – it has its own tube station on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line.
Can you tell me more about the area?
Hampstead has a long, rich history dating back to the 13th century (Hampstead: Hampstead Town | British History Online (british-history.ac.uk). Its location next to Hampstead Heath raised its profile and led to the area being considered a place of wellbeing known for its pure air and mineral waters during the 16th and 17th centuries.
At the top of Hampstead sits Whitestone Pond where travellers coming into London would ride their horse and carriage down the gentle slope into the pond to wash the mud and dirt off their carts and horses before descending into London.
Nowadays Hampstead is a cosy, affluent village with a broad mix of architecture, boutique shops, restaurants and local pubs.
Here’s an extremely subjective take on places to go in Hampstead. We’ll split them into different categories to make finding what you like easier.
Food & Drink
- 28 Church Row (28 Church Row – Cellar bar and dining in London NW3) – unusually situated in a cellar, don’t be put off! Owned and run by local David Hanson, 28CR offers a tapas style menu made up of Spanish and Italian cuisine. The ambience is great, the food tastes wonderful and the wine and cocktails are top notch. Only thing is…you can’t book in advance but they do have a waiting list.
- The Wells Tavern (The Wells – Bar and Restaurant (thewellshampstead.co.uk)) – the go to gastro pub when you’re headed to or from the Heath. Cosy inside on the sofas, buzzing outside in the Summer. Great food and drinks. Finer dining upstairs too.
- L’Antica Pizzeria (L'Antica Pizzeria - Hampstead & High Barnet) – not the largest pizza joint you’ll walk into but it’s the real deal. Scrumptious.
- Jin Kichi (Home – Jin Kichi) – the best sushi and Japanese food within the postcode. You may need to call up and book a table.
Coffees, Snacks and Cakes
- Ginger & White, a mere 20 metres from our new store, (Ginger & White (gingerandwhite.com)) on Perrins Court is the coffee mecca of Hampstead. Casual, easy brunches are offered up alongside tea and cakes.
- Burgh House (Home | Home page | Burgh House) is a must visit in Hampstead. Besides a tour of the house you can also sit indoor or out on the terrace and enjoy some light snacks and tempting cakes.
Rest & Recovery
As a brand that values the importance of Free Time it won’t surprise you to hear we feel personal health and wellbeing is a priority. With that in mind we’re fans of the following in Hampstead:
- Walking On Clouds, (Walking on Clouds) a physio, massage and wellness clinic run by the talented Alex and Gabriela. They’ve assembled a wonderful team of practitioners to help address your physical ailments from their admittedly small but cosy practice.
General Shopping Favourites
- Cubitts, (Cubitts: The Modern Spectacle Maker) is a wonderful glasses shop on the corner of the High Street and Gayton Road. A wonderful brand set up by the understated and brilliant Tom Broughton. The service is excellent, and the product range is first class whether it be off the shelf or personalised.
- The Hampstead Butcher & Providore (Hampstead Butcher & Providore) is a nailed on, go to location for many locals. An eclectic mix of international foods, high quality meats (the ribeye steaks and lamb koftas are amazing) and a great cheese selection are sure to keep you entertained.
- Borough Kitchen (Hampstead Cook Shop & Cook School | Borough Kitchen) – everything you need but stylish and practical. And a whole lot of stuff you didn’t know you needed…beware as its incredibly tempting in there.
- The Coffee Cup (Coffee Cup Hampstead in London | Coffee Cup Restaurant (villabiancagroup.com)) – strangely not dropping this in for their coffee but rather simple, tasty pastas and other comfort basics. Particularly like the penne sorrentina with fresh chillis.
- Waterstones Bookshop (Bookshop in London - Hampstead | Waterstones) – yes, we know it’s a chain but the fact is the staff are wonderful, helpful and knowledgeable. Naturally they’ve also got a huge range of books!
Unbelievably this is just a small selection of the large range of wonderful shops, cafes, and restaurants in Hampstead. There are many wonderful bakeries, nail bars, hairdressers and the like too.
One of the strangest things about Hampstead is that there are very few men’s clothing shops and no-one focusing on homewear, leisurewear and resortwear for men and women. That is, until now. And that is why we have opened our local store in Hampstead.
Whether you’re headed onto the Heath for a weekend stroll, grabbing a coffee from Ginger & White or unwinding at home in the area we’ve got you covered. If you’re going to work, you can still bring some of the Free Time loving spirit and Derek Rose quality into the mix with our wonderful t-shirts, polos and sweaters.